Table of Contents
- Best medical colleges | An overview
- Which is the best medical college in the world?
- Harvard Medical School, Harvard University, Boston – USA
- Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore – USA
- Oxford University, Oxford – UK
- University of Cambridge, Cambridge – UK
- Stanford Medicine, Stanford University, California – USA
- Karolinska Institutet, Solna – Sweden
- UCL Medical School, University College London (UCL), London – UK
- Yale School of Medicine, Yale University, Connecticut – USA
- Imperial College of Medicine, London – UK
- How do I get admission to a medical college?
- In a nutshell
Best medical colleges | An overview
TV shows like Grey’s Anatomy, House M.D., and The Good Doctor – to name a few – portray most of the greatness of the medical profession. But do you know where the best white-coat-wearing, stethoscope-wielding superheroes are forged in real life? Let’s take a look at the best medical colleges in the world.
Which is the best medical college in the world?
This question is a bit more complicated than it seems. The answer is subjective as it really depends on how we define ‘best.’ Every college listed below offers world-class education. So saying there is a ‘best’ medical college in the world is like saying there is an Olympic medal considered to be the best Olympic medal to win.
However, the rankings for top medical colleges in the world (such as the ones by QS World University Rankings or Times Higher Education) are pretty transparent in the indicators and metrics they used in compiling the list every year.
To find out which medical school is the best for you, we recommend visiting the official websites of the medical schools and considering your area of focus as a primary factor while making your decision. Also, you can use this list of the best medical colleges to begin with your research.
Harvard Medical School is the most widely regarded medical college in terms of its academic pedigree and influence. Established in 1836, Harvard University’s 209-acre campus is home to the Harvard Med School, one of the most elite medical colleges on the planet. HMS has been consistently at the top of academic rankings. It ranks number one on the list of the ‘Best Medical Colleges’ in the world by QS World University Rankings in 2021.
By adhering to core commitments, HMS has fostered a culture that has excelled in medical education, clinical care, and biomedical research for generations. An educational institution committed to educational innovation, scientific discovery and integrity, diversity and professional development, and service to humanity
The Johns Hopkins University was founded in 1876 and is named after Johns Hopkins, an American entrepreneur and philanthropist. Johns Hopkins, the first research university in the United States, invests more money in research than any other academic institution in the country. It has four campuses and is ranked as the world’s ‘Best Medical School 2021’ by CEOWorld Magazine!
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine students, trainees, and researchers combine the highest levels of academic achievement with a desire to excel in biomedical research and patient care.
Founded in 1096, Oxford University is probably the oldest medical college on this list. Oxford has one of the most comprehensive programs in the world. It consistently ranks number one on lists of ‘Top Medical Colleges’ in the world. It houses a plethora of departments and is one of the most detailed medicine programs in the world. Plus, who wouldn’t want to study in London?
Medicine studies at the University of Cambridge date back to 1540, during the reign of Henry VIII. Patient-centered learning remains at the heart of medical education at the Cambridge School of Clinical Medicine. Cambridge Medical School is one of the most prestigious medical colleges in the UK and the world. The campus also houses the Cambridge University botanic garden, which is a sight to behold.
You might know Stanford more from the Silicon Valley connection and the nickname ‘Billionaire Factory,’ but Stanford also boasts an enormously popular medical college. In 1885, California Senator Leland Stanford and his wife, Jane started Stanford University. Getting admission to Stanford Med is no mean feat as it consistently tracks in the ‘Top 5 Medical Colleges’ in the world.
The Karolinska Institutet (aka Caroline Institute in English) dedicates itself to the medical and health sciences. It has a far-reaching reputation for top-quality innovation and research. It boasts of a paradigm where the faculty divides time between teaching and conducting research. This ensures that the faculty and students are abreast of the current developments in the field of medicine and Physiology. Sweden is also one of the safest countries in the world to live in. Don’t worry though, they do teach in English!
A merger of six medical colleges makes up the UCL, with the oldest one standing since 1746 and the newest member, UCL Medical School, coming in as recently as 2008. UCL boasts a diverse community and is an academic powerhouse. It ranked 10th in the QS World University Rankings, 2020, and is the top-rated University in the UK for its research strength. They offer a whopping 675 postgraduate, research, and initial teacher education programs across a wide range of disciplines. This encourages their community to work across traditional subjects and modern ones.
The Yale School of Medicine is a part of the prestigious Yale University. It is home to the famous separate Department of Pharmacology – widely acclaimed as one of the best in the world. Yale hosts a top calls research faculty and is also part of the coveted Ivy League in the US. Yale School of Medicine consistently ranks among the top 15 in the ‘Best Medical Colleges’ in the world list.
This university ranks in the top 10 of the world’s top 100 universities and delivers the course through both innovative and old school methods. The university trains over 2000 students in Medicine and Biomedical Science, fostering effective education and a clinical research environment. Moreover, it also offers dual qualifications by giving students who are in the six-year undergraduate program a BSc degree along with their MMBS.
How do I get admission to a medical college?
Most medical colleges in the list above have a stringent list of requirements with some having acceptance rates as low as 3.3 percent. Usually, the medical college website is a good place to start a comprehensive list of medical school requirements.
US medical school requirements
A medical degree in the US is actually a second-entry degree. It means that you can’t gain entry into a medicine bachelor’s course directly.
- A Bachelor’s (undergraduate) degree in a related Science subject (which lasts for 3-4 years). Popular choices for the undergrad Science subject are Biology and Chemistry.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0.
- Good TOEFL scores.
- MCAT (Medical College Admission Test) is mandatory.
- Experience in the health field including community work or research.
- An applicant essay.
- 2 Letters of Recommendation.
- Some med schools have additional requirements such as a one-year laboratory experience certificate in chemistry or biology.
UK medical school requirements
In the UK, however, the situation is understandably a bit different. UK medical colleges require-
- An international baccalaureate with at least 37 points and a background in three higher-level subjects like chemistry and biology. It also requires an A level (AAA includes chemistry and one other science subject – math, biology, or psychology).
- An IELTS score of no less than 7.5.
- UK med schools also require a UCAT score, the weightage of which in your admissions process, is at the university’s discretion.
- Apart from the usual Statement of Purpose and Letter of Recommendation requirement, UK colleges also require you to pass one or more interviews.
- Admission Boards at these Medical Colleges highly value work experience in the medical field. It highlights the relevant skillset and strength of character required to become a doctor. Practical work experience also showcases a student’s ability to work in a team, thus shedding light on ownership attitude, sense of responsibility, and communication skills.
In a nutshell
It is very important to have appropriate information before making any decision. Hopefully, this blog helped you make a better decision on which medical schools to apply for. As always, in case of any queries, feel free to comment down below, or reach out to us.
Liked this blog? Read next: English speech topics | Best topics to engage your audience!
Q1. How difficult is getting into a medical school?
Answer- There is no denying that medical schools are highly competitive with low acceptance rates. Therefore, focus on achieving a good GPA, nailing the entrance exams, and filling out your application the right way.
Q2. Which is the best country to study medicine?
Answer- Some of the best countries to study medicine are-
- The USA
- The UK
Q3. Is pursuing an MBBS abroad a good choice?
Answer- It is definitely a good option to study MBBA abroad, considering the universities’ world-class infrastructure and modern facilities. Besides, students get international recognition that might help them rise through the ranks.