Table of Contents
Allied Health Science Courses | A brief overview
A different category of healthcare professionals is known as allied health science practitioners, and they use their training to prevent, identify, treat, and rehabilitate individuals of all ages and specializations from spreading infections.
Along with a variety of technical and support specialists, they will offer direct medical treatment, recuperation, medicine, diagnostics, and health development measures in order to restore and preserve optimal physical, sensory, psychological, cognitive, and social functions.
All different types of medical diagnostic procedures (such as blood analysis, histopathology, pathological analysis, and radiography) that are employed in the medical industry and are crucial to patient care are covered under allied health sciences. With diagnosis based on technology, the role of allied health professionals in providing appropriate treatment has become crucial.
Read on to know more about courses, eligibility criteria, universities providing these courses, career opportunities, and more.
Allied Health Science Courses
Here is a list of popular Allied Health Science courses:
- B.Sc Microbiology
- Bachelor of Optometry
- B.Sc Nutrition & Dietetics
- B.Sc Radio-Imaging Technology
- B.Sc Neuro-physiology Technology
- B.Sc Operation Theater Technology
- B.Sc Medical Laboratory Technology
- B.Sc Cardiac Care Technology
- B.Sc Renal Dialysis
- Master of Optometry
- M.Sc Nutrition & Dietetics
- M.Sc Radio-Imaging Technology
- M.Sc Operation Theater Technology
- M.Sc Medical Laboratory Technology
- M.Sc Microbiology
- Ph.D. Nutrition & Dietetics
- Ph.D. Microbiology
- Ph.D. Radio Imaging & Technology
Eligibility criteria for allied health science courses
- Students must be in the science stream if they intend to enroll in allied health science courses.
- Biology is a required subject in certain programs.
- Based on their +2 percentage, applicants are shortlisted for admission to reputable universities. A high overall percentage is therefore important. As a result, the student should work to achieve good grades in all disciplines. Given that some courses individually call for a strong biology grade, biology may be given more weight.
- Students studying allied medical sciences should have excellent critical thinking and research abilities in order to analyze, understand, and make judgments about facts. Strong physical endurance and the capacity to endure under trying circumstances are both prerequisites for entering this field of work.
- For admission to undergraduate programs, the majority of universities keep an aggregate minimum requirement of 50% or above. Some biology courses could also have a distinct minimum passing score of 50%.
- As part of the admissions process, entrance exams are also administered by Indian institutions.
- Depending on the subject you are applying for, universities overseas could need proficiency exams like the IELTS, GRE, TOEFL, SAT, ACT, etc.
Top colleges in India
Here is the list of popular Indian universities or colleges offering allied health science courses:
|Name of Exam||Universities/Colleges||Application period||Exam Dates|
|AIIMS Entrance Exams||AIIMS (New Delhi and others)||November to January||In the month of June|
|Indian Army BSc Nursing Entrance Exam||College of Nursing, AFMC Pune College of Nursing, CH (EC) Kolkata College of Nursing, INHS Asvini College of Nursing, AH (R&R), New DelhiCollege of Nursing, CH (CC), Lucknow School of Nursing, CH (AF), Bangalore||November||January|
|LBS Kerala Post Basic BSc Nursing Admission Test||Govt. College of Nursing, Thiruvananthapuram Govt. College of Nursing, Ernakulam Nursing Self Financing Colleges under SMIET (Kochi, Kannur & Palghat) Nursing Private Self-Financing Colleges||2nd week to 4th week of June||July|
|Kerala BPharm lateral entry Admission test (For DPharm holders)||College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medical college Self-financing Pharmacy institutions||2nd week to last week of August||2nd week of September|
|KEAM (Engineering/Pharmacy entrance exam)||College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Medical college Self-financing Pharmacy institutions||1st week to last week of February||4th week of April|
|BITSAT (BPharm entrance)||Birla Institute of Technology||December to March||May|
Top universities abroad
- University of Hawaii – Manoa
- University of Mississippi – Shorelight
- Cambrian College
- Georgian College
- Humber Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
Areas of work for allied health science professionals
These people have a keen interest in making an accurate examination and illness diagnosis in order to link the symptoms to the diagnosis and treat the patient appropriately. They comprise supervisors and technicians. Some of the fields they work in include
- Perfusion Technology
- Cardiovascular Technology
Career in allied health science courses
Healthcare-related vocations are predicted to increase more quickly than most other professions, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labour Statistics (BLS). The overall perception of the healthcare business has seen a significant shift over the past ten years as a result of technological improvements.
Paramedical practitioners and technicians are no longer seen as having less authority than doctors and nurses in their respective fields. Additionally, a wider range of options is now accessible in study fields related to allied health services at the graduate level.
As doctors increasingly rely on diagnostic laboratory testing, job prospects for clinical laboratory technicians are projected to outpace those of other qualified professions.
The usage of surgical operations for the treatment of ailments in an aging population is increasing the need for OT technologists and surgical assistants.
- Allied medical sciences refer to a wide variety of academic fields that produce healthcare workers other than physicians.
- To deliver the greatest patient results, allied health specialists collaborate with other members of a multidisciplinary health team.
- As doctors increasingly rely on laboratory testing to determine diagnosis, there will likely be more job possibilities for clinical laboratory technicians than competent specialists.
- The need for surgical assistants and OT technologists is rising as surgical procedures are used more often to manage ailments in an aging population.
Was this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments below. Click here to reach out to us for more information on allied health science courses. We would be happy to assist you with your queries!
Liked this blog? Read: Dentist | Skills, subjects, qualifications, and more!
Q1. Which allied medical course is the best?
Answer – Few of the most lucrative allied medical science courses are
- Bachelor of optometry
- B.sc nutrition and dietetics
- B.sc radio imaging technology
- B.sc neurophysiology technology
- B.sc operation theatre technology
- B.sc medical laboratory technology
- B.sc cardiac care technology
- B.sc renal dialysis
Q2. What is the scope of allied health science?
Answer – The medical community benefits greatly from the expertise of professionals in allied health science who provide patients with preventative, curative, and rehabilitative treatment. They work on illness diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation with assistance from knowledgeable technical professionals.
Q3. Does MBBS fall under Allied Health Sciences?
Answer – One of the greatest alternatives to an MBBS degree is a degree in allied health sciences. The need for skilled allied health science degree students is going to rise as more and more courses are introduced in the allied health sciences category.
See what others are saying
How to apply for Jobs for allied health sciences professionals in abroad
We don’t provide services for obtaining jobs, however, we can definitely help you with studying abroad!
All the best!