Table of Contents
- Who was Kabir Das?
- What is a doha?
- Kabir Das ke Dohe with meaning
- 1. बडा हुआ तो क्या हुआ जसै ेपेड़ खजर।ू
- पंथी को छाया नही फल लागेअति दरू ॥
- 2. कबीरा खड़ा बाज़ार में, सबकी मांगेखरै.
- ना काहूसेदोस्ती, ना काहूसेबरै.
- 3. कहेकबीर कैसेनिबाहे, केर बेर को संग
- वह झूमत रस आपनी, उसकेफाटत अगं .
- 4. तिनका कबहूँन निदिं येजो पावन तर होए
- कभूउडी अखिँ याँपरेतो पीर घनेरी होए
- 5. साँई इतना दीजिए जामेंकुटुंब समाय ।
- मैंभी भखा ू ना रहूँसाधुन भखा ु जाय॥
- 6. माटी कहेकुम्हार से, तुक्या रौंदेमोय ।
- एक दिन ऐसा आएगा, मैंरौंदगी ू तोय ॥
- 7. माला फेरत जगु भया, फिरा न मन का फेर ।
- कर का मन का डार दे, मन का मनका फेर ॥
- 8. गुरु गोविदं दोनों खड़, ेकाकेलागंूपाँय ।
- बलिहारी गुरु आपनो, गोविदं दियो मिलाय ॥
- 9. पाथर पजू ेहरि मिले , तो मैंपजू ूपहाड़ .
- घर की चाकी कोई ना पजू े, जाको पीस खाए संसार
- 10. अति का भला न बोलना, अति की भली न चपू ,
- अति का भला न बरसना, अति की भली न धप। ू
- Key takeaways
As human beings, we often find ourselves amidst challenging circumstances and may not know how to approach a particular situation or what the right attitude should be when facing a situation like that. Whenever you find yourself in such a dilemma, you must read Kabir Das ke dohe. He can give you clarity of thoughts and help you understand the real meaning of life.
Who was Kabir Das?
Kabir Das was a 15th-century Indian poet and saint. He was born in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh. Despite being a Muslim, he was deeply influenced by Swami Ramananda, his teacher and the founder of the Hindu Bhakti Movement. Sant Kabir Das ke dohe (couplets) influenced the Bhakti Movement. The verses he wrote are found in Sikhism’s scripture Guru Granth Sahib as well. He was not only a poet but also an eminent social reformer. He questioned while also critically viewing the meaningless and unethical practices of all religions, particularly Hinduism and Islam.
Besides, Kabir believed in the virtue of truth. He asked everyone to follow the path of righteousness and said serving others serves God. Kabir Das’s legacy continues through the Kabir Panth community. People of this community consider the principles and teachings of Kabir as the basis of their life.
What is a doha?
Doha is an age-old form of lyrical verse extensively used by Indian poets. It has been practiced since the beginning of the 6th century A.D. Doha is an independent verse, a couplet, and its meaning is complete in itself.
Kabir Das ke Dohe with meaning
1. बडा हुआ तो क्या हुआ जसै ेपेड़ खजर।ू
पंथी को छाया नही फल लागेअति दरू ॥
Meaning – It is of no use being very big or rich if you don’t do any good to others. For example, a palm tree is so tall; however, it is of no use to a traveler because it provides no shade, and the fruit is also at the top. Thus, none can eat it easily.
2. कबीरा खड़ा बाज़ार में, सबकी मांगेखरै.
ना काहूसेदोस्ती, ना काहूसेबरै.
Meaning – One should always think well of everyone. There is no need to be over-friendly with anyone, nor should you be hostile to anyone.
3. कहेकबीर कैसेनिबाहे, केर बेर को संग
वह झूमत रस आपनी, उसकेफाटत अगं .
Meaning – People who are different cannot live together. If bananas and ber (jujube) trees are planted near each other, the ber tree will swing in the air, whereas banana tree leaves will get torn by its thorns.
4. तिनका कबहूँन निदिं येजो पावन तर होए
कभूउडी अखिँ याँपरेतो पीर घनेरी होए
Meaning – You should not oppress the weak, as you should not trample a speck. When that weak person counterattacks, it will be very painful. Just like a speck of dust in the eye can cause a lot of discomfort.
5. साँई इतना दीजिए जामेंकुटुंब समाय ।
मैंभी भखा ू ना रहूँसाधुन भखा ु जाय॥
Meaning – Kabir requests the almighty to give him only as much as required to feed his family and if any guest comes, then he should be able to feed him too. It means you should only have what you need as there is no use in having too much.
6. माटी कहेकुम्हार से, तुक्या रौंदेमोय ।
एक दिन ऐसा आएगा, मैंरौंदगी ू तोय ॥
Meaning – The soil tells the pot maker that you think you are kicking and kneading me with your feet but there will be a day when you will be below me (buried after death) and I will knead you.
7. माला फेरत जगु भया, फिरा न मन का फेर ।
कर का मन का डार दे, मन का मनका फेर ॥
Meaning – This is sarcasm on people who are blind followers of a religion. Kabir says you spent your life turning the beads of the rosary but could not turn your own heart. Leave the rosary and try to change the evil in your heart.
8. गुरु गोविदं दोनों खड़, ेकाकेलागंूपाँय ।
बलिहारी गुरु आपनो, गोविदं दियो मिलाय ॥
Meaning – A teacher is even greater than God. Kabir quips that if the teacher and the god are both in front of him, who will he greet first? The teacher’s teaching has made it possible for him to see the god.
9. पाथर पजू ेहरि मिले , तो मैंपजू ूपहाड़ .
घर की चाकी कोई ना पजू े, जाको पीस खाए संसार
Meaning – Kabir says people worship idols made from stone. If it was possible to reach the god this way, then he would worship the mountain. But, no one worships the home flour mill (chakki) which gives us the flour to eat.
10. अति का भला न बोलना, अति की भली न चपू ,
अति का भला न बरसना, अति की भली न धप। ू
Meaning – Kabir Das says that too much of anything is not good. One must exercise control and be moderate in everything. Too much talking is not good, and neither is too much quietness. Just like how too much rain is not good, nor is too much sunshine.
- Sant Kabir Das’ sayings are priceless. They stand true to date and people continue to read his couplets and apply the knowledge in real life.
- Kabir Das ji ke dohe are enlightening and pure teachings of life.
- They play a significant role in defining your perception, judgment, and behavior.
- Kabir Das’ sayings were primarily about one faith and religion and he discarded all kinds of discrimination. He taught a lesson of brotherhood to Hindus and Muslims.
- Kabir says that it is possible to get salvation only through Bhakti or devotion.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog. In case of assistance, reach out to us or drop a comment below!
Liked this blog? Read next: 12 motivational quotes in Hindi for students to succeed!
1. Which are some books where I can find more about Kabir Das ke Dohe?
Answer- “Couplets from Kabir Das,” “Bijak,” “Kabira Vani,” and “Songs of Kabir,” are some of the books which you can buy and read.
2. What was the main message of Kabir Das?
Answer- Kabir Das had the simplest message of love and fraternity. He strongly believed there is only one god, which was the core of his teachings.
3. Was Kabir Das actively involved in the Bhakti Movement?
Answer- Yes, Kabir Das played a pivotal role in the Bhakti Movement. He was the one who voiced his opinions against evil traditions like Sati and child marriage which were bad for society.