Table of Contents
- Germany is a perfect study-abroad destination
- Basic requirements for study visa in Germany
- Types of German study visas
- German student visa requirements
- Proof of University Admission
- Steps to apply for a German study visa
- Bank balance required for a German study visa
- German student visa processing time
- Key takeaways
Germany is a perfect study-abroad destination
Each year, many foreign students choose Germany as their study-abroad destination. Most international students will need to obtain a German study visa from a German consulate in their home country before arriving in Germany to study.
Depending on your country of origin, you might get an exemption from requiring a visa to study in Germany, but you must still obtain a residence permit lasting more than 90 days once you enter Germany for your studies.
Basic requirements for study visa in Germany
- A Schengen visa, lasting up to three months, is necessary for studies.
- If your study course is longer than three months, a German national visa is required for studies lasting more than three months.
- If you enter Germany on a national visa, you should extend your stay at the Foreigner’s Office by obtaining a German residence permit for studies. You should do this before your entry visa validity ends.
Types of German study visas
A German visa for studies is applicable for various study levels and degrees. Undergraduate, exchange, graduate, and postgraduate studies are all included in the programs applicable to a study visa. The study visa covers participation in a pre-academic measure or a non-academic German language course.
There are three types of German student visas
German student visa
This is the standard student visa for international students who get admission to one of Germany’s official universities and are ready to begin their studies.
German student applicant visa
You will need this visa when you have to apply for university admission in person in Germany. This visa does not allow you to study in Germany and is only valid for the university application process.
German language course visa
You need this type of visa to study a German language course in Germany.
German student visa requirements
The following are the most important requirements for your German student visa-
Visa application documents
- A national visa application form that is duly filled out and signed.
- A valid national passport.
- Two photocopies of your passport.
- Certificate of birth.
- Marriage certificate(If applicable).
- Child’s certificate of birth(If applicable).
- Recent passport-style photographs(Up to 3).
- Photocopies of previous German residence titles(If applicable).
‘Finanzierungsnachweis’ is proof of financial resources.
(Select one of the following)
- Deposit confirmation of €11,208 at a German-blocked bank account.
- Letter of commitment and proof of your parent’s income and financial assets.
“Verpflichtungserklärung” letter from a German resident
The German resident will present this letter to the Alien Registration Office, which will cover your expenses during your studies.
Certificate of scholarship awarding. It must state how much money it covers.
Bank assurance. A well-known German bank must issue you this note.
Proof of University Admission
Admission to studies ‘Zulassungsbescheid’ confirmed. Issued by a recognized higher education provider in Germany, indicating your studies’ start date and the instruction language.
‘Bedingter Zulassungsbescheid’ (Proof of conditional admission) and confirmation of ‘Intensiv-Sprachkurs’ (an intensive course). The letter must demonstrate that you are conditioned and confirmed to participate in an intensive language course before receiving final university admission. The course duration must be at least 6 months and include 18 hours of instruction per week.
Evidence of conditional university admission
- Letter from ‘uni-assist.’
- Document with applicant name stating admission confirmation.
- Communication with the university regarding final admission conditions.
- Proof of payment for the language course. Accompanied by a confirmed course place.
- The payment must cover the first three months.
- Confirm admission to ‘Studienkolleg’(Admission to a university preparatory course).
- Evidence of your previous education
- Original high school diploma.
- Certificate of graduation
(If you’re starting a Master’s or Ph.D. program.)
- Student Health Insurance is available.
- Qualification for university admission.
- German or English language proficiency certificate
Steps to apply for a German study visa
Many international students need clarification on the German student visa application process. The procedures vary by country, but you can get a general overview of the main steps you’ll need to take below.
- Find the nearest German embassy or consulate.
- Examine the prerequisites and procedures.
- Make a Visa appointment.
- Prepare all visa application documents.
- Get ready for your Visa interview.
Bank balance required for a German study visa
Before applying for a German student visa in 2021, you must have a minimum amount of €11,208 in your blocked bank account. This is the basic bank balance requirement for a German study visa.
German student visa processing time
Your German student visa application process can take up to 25 days to complete. The processing time might vary according to the country and German embassy you apply to.
Processing time for all other German study visa applications is within three months.
- Germany has many globally ranked universities, a wide range of courses, and internationally recognized degrees that promise high employment rates and low living costs.
- Most international students need a German study visa from a German consulate in their home country before coming to Germany to study.
- You might be exempt from requiring a visa to study in Germany, depending on your country of origin, but you still need a residence permit to study in Germany along with other important documents.
Did you find this blog informative? If so, please share your thoughts in the comments section below. Click here to contact us for more information on the German study visa. We would be happy to assist you with your queries.
Liked this blog? Read next: Australia band requirements for visa
Q1. Is it easy to get a German student visa?
Ans- The application process for a German student visa is fairly simple if you have all the required documents and your application fulfills all the necessary parameters.
Q2. Can I get PR in Germany after studying?
Ans- International students cannot obtain a residence permit in Germany. Students can apply for a residence permit after completing their studies in Germany and working for at least two to four years.
Q3. Can someone sponsor my education in Germany?
Ans- Philanthropists and others who want to give back to society will frequently help fund students’ education. These can be multinational corporations or charitable foundations. The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is one such scholarship. In Germany, graduates and undergraduates mostly receive it.
See what others are saying
Very amaizing course .whish to know more.Thanks i look forward to hearing from you.
One of our counselors will get in touch with you soon!
All the best.
You can also contact us-
Phone +91 9145332283